Renowned the world over as a unique tropical rainforest island, Dunk Island offers the day visitor beautiful walking tracks, breathtaking scenery, views, great snorkelling and camping facilities.
YOUR DAY ON DUNK ISLAND
Mission Beach Dunk Island Water Taxi operates from Wongaling Beach and is a quick & easy way to get to Dunk Island in comfort in their custom designed 10 metre long vessel with seating for up 24 passengers.
Dunk Island’s lush rainforest, dense flora and fauna offers a variety of wildlife, the blue Ulysses butterfly, mammals and about 150 species of birds, including rare and vulnerable seabirds. The spectacular island also offers a large variety of marine life in the reefs, including crabs, shellfish, sea turtles, fish, dugongs and colourful corals.
As well as magical walking tracks and secluded beaches, Dunk Island also offers toilet and shower amenities on the spit and fantastic campgrounds with BBQ facilities, so upon finishing your walks, you can unpack the picnic in the Day Use Area and spend the rest of the day relaxing under the shade of the palm trees.
- Muggy Muggy Beach Walking Track – 3 km return (70 mins) – Grade: Easy
This pleasant walk winds through rainforest, coastal woodland, and mangroves before arriving at Muggy Muggy Beach. At this picturesque sandy cove, sheltered behind a rainforest clad headland, enjoy a swim and snorkel before returning along the same track.
- Mt Kootaloo Summit Walking Track – 7 km return (3 hrs) – Grade: Moderate
This more strenuous walk winds up a semi steep track to the 271 m summit. Through the rainforest on the lower slopes allows glimpses over the island and reefs as the track ascends. On the upper slopes, the forest opens out and eucalypts emerge through the canopy. Near the summit, a short branching track leads to a lookout, which offers spectacular views over the Family Islands and nearby mainland. Near the lookout, the remains of No. 27 Radar Station, built during World War II, are slowly being reclaimed by the rainforest.
- Island Circuit Walking Track – 9.2 km (3 hrs) – Grade: Moderate
Mt Kootaloo, you’ll pass through the magical Palm Valley and then onto Coconut Beach. Not for the faint hearted, this challenging walk will introduce you to Dunk Island’s lush green rainforest where you are likely to encounter the many different species of birdlife..
Water Taxi Timetable
- Departing Mainland 9am, 10am or 11am
- Departing Dunk Island 12pm or 3.30pm
What to bring
- Sun protection – hats & sunscreen
- Walking shoes if you wish to explore walking tracks
- Food and drink
- Towels and swimmers
Included in your day on Dunk Island
- Dunk Island Map and explanation from one of our team
- Stinger Suites in the jelly fish season Nov-April
- Assistance with bags/eskies
Available for hire or purchase at our beachfront office
- Merchandise – Hats & Stubby Coolers, postcards
- Soft drinks and water
- Snorkel Equipment
- Boogie Boards, kayaks, SUP’s, bikes
- Camping permits
- Subject to availability – please note that we will send you the voucher or product within the indicated working day(s) after payment. If product is fully booked or sold out, full refund will be granted.
- Confirmation in the form of a tour voucher will be received at time of booking
- Upon completion of purchase, please print the voucher and present on day of the experience
- For your information, complete Tour Operator Information including contact details is included on your tour voucher
- Guests must reconfirm their bookings at least 48 hours prior to their tour departing
- No refund, If you late or no show on the date of the scheduled departure or commencement time/date.
- If you cancel more than 10 calendar days prior to the scheduled departure or commencement time/date, there is no cancellation fee.
- If you cancel between 6 and 9 calendar days prior to the scheduled departure or commencement time/date, you will be charged a cancellation fee of 50% of the transaction total.
- If you cancel within 5 calendar days of the scheduled departure or commencement time/date, you will be charged a cancellation fee of 100% of the transaction total. These cancellation terms are subject to change without notice and can be dependent on the individual tour operator/supplier.
- Please Note: If mentioned above, the supplier’s cancellation policy will take precedence over Crazy Aussie Australia’s cancellation policy. Refer to Terms and Conditions for further information.